Wednesday 23 January 2013

Meet the Artist : Deusa Blumke




We had a little chat with Brazilian artist, Deusa Blumke (above), to give us an insight regarding her artworks, and who she is as an artist.

Gallery (G) : You've moved to and fro a number of countries around the world. Has this affected your choice to present artworks in an abstract manner?

Deusa Blumke (DB): I cannot deny that's part of it. Painting has a solid history and human beings have been using art throughout centuries in different ways and to serve different purposes. My explorations with materials, surfaces and colours, comes from my attempt to free the painting from the surface - making most of my marks under or between them - , to make it more rebellious and where normally the artist controls the painting in a way they should 'behave' and be, my paintings are not passive. They have something to say. It's almost like a dance - the use of energy, gravity and time to make the marks, and I respond to what they want to become. I listen to the works idea in terms of colours, sizes and shapes when it comes to what I want to produce - it is an active process.
Maybe this connection with moving around so much (not as much as some of my friends) and this response in my work, has to do with appreciating the moment and when we do not know what the future holds and where we will be next... we learn to appreciate today more than holding onto unnecessary worries. My paintings celebrate that. They don't behave the way they should in traditional ways.
Having said that, I admire masters of the past - like Matisse, for his colours and sensibility, Cezanne for his inventions and skilled drawings - and I learn lot from contemporary artists from Singapore and abroad. But I try to grow and find my voice in this ocean filled with talents.
It's a challenge. But I enjoy a challenge. They help me evolve.

G : Describe to us in your own words, how you would best depict your works of art?

Perhaps I have already answered some part of it in the first answer. But I aim to explore the idea of creating possibilities. I learnt a lot about contemporary art in LASALLE College of the Arts and explored a bit with different forms of expressions. My passion, however, was set in getting dirty with paint and watching them come alive. That truly excited me. The colours and forms reveal ways and opportunities through which one could express themselves. In a highly globalised society, were nobody seems to have time to pay attention to details and everyone is rushing to accomplish something small or big, the individual seems to lose himself and does not dare stop for a moment, fearing the thought of being alone. It can be hard sometimes, but I celebrate self-discovery and isolation. It is possible to create something from inside of you. It is there, and if you are kind to yourself and patient, you will find it.
My works are very personal, but it also talks about finding ones voice in this... contemporary society. When I work, I close the door and make sure nobody disturbs me. It is my time, with my work, and I will do all I can to be in the present with it and away from all other distractions. I believe in being in an active peace mode individually.
My works are created with my energy and commitment. I hope the viewers pay attention to their minute details, and slow down a little from their busy lives... to take in the colours, and the energy from the works, in their own time and space, and appreciate it through their own distinct taste.

G : How would you guide viewers to better understand your works? We know abstract art can be rather intimidating to some people.

DB : I believe each art work that an artist creates is unique, and special. Although I share my experiences and working process, I would prefer to allow the viewer to experience my works in his or her own way. We all have to respond and follow so many rules in different aspects of our everyday lifes - at work, in public, at home even - , that when you appreciate art... it should be a time to enjoy and hopefully open the mind to possibilities. For when you leave the presence of the art piece (or hopefully, you take it your private collection), you will see things a little differently.
I know it can be challenging for some to understand these works, but I believe the viewer should have some time with the artwork. Experience it in his own way, and take that experience with him. Appreciate the moment. And if they are not entirely familiar with art and what it's all about...  they should just take their time, and gain more exposure by attending more shows. You will grow from within.



Works by Deusa Blumke can be seen at Maya Gallery, till the 19th of February.



No comments:

Post a Comment